During this time of remembrance we have recognised the sacrifices made for the freedoms we have by our armed forces past and present.
But it is equally important that we take real action to support our armed forces.
Labour has announced a five point plan to provide real support to those that keep us safe.
This Government has let down our veterans, some of who are dealing with mental health struggles after years of service and have been made homeless. This is no way to treat those that have sacrificed for us and under Labour we will ensure that our veterans have the housing they need and deserve.
Our five point plan is as follows:
1. Fair Pay – scrap the public sector pay cap, which has seen a 5.8% real terms pay cut for the starting salary of an Army Private
2. Decent housing for forces and their families – end the growing reliance on the private rented sector
3. A voice for service men and women – consult on creating a representative body, similar to the Police Federation
4. End privatisation – root and branch review of outsourcing and a clear presumption in favour of public delivery of public contracts
5. Support for forces children – better access to schools with dedicated local authorities admissions strategy for the particular challenge of frequent school moves