Bedford Borough Labour councillors Louise King and Colleen Atkins have been keeping pressure on the owners of the site on The Broadway to demolish the unsightly, derelict former Charles King building.
The owners, Rochmills Limited, announced this week their intention for demolition work to start on Monday 13 October and the work will last about eight weeks.
Harpur Ward councillors, Cllrs Louise King and Colleen Atkins were persistent in keeping up the pressure for the derelict buildings to be demolished and their efforts have been successful.
Cllr King said, “Cllr Atkins and I are extremely pleased something is being done at last. We were frustrated by the lack of promised progress and pressed hard to get the owners, Rochmills Limited, to hasten their programme of development. We received constant complaints from local people asking why nothing was happening about the eyesore buildings and the unkempt car park.”
Cllr Colleen Atkins said: “We are delighted the site is to be demolished at last. It’s at the gateway to Bedford Town Centre and this ruin detracts from the area. Earlier in this summer the company stated the buildings would be demolished shortly, but no works took place and the site continued to deteriorate and the building disintegrating. It took a lot of pressure but that has proved worthwhile.”